Monday, November 1, 2010

Week 11 - Vitra Re Design Concept


When re designing Frank Gehry’s ‘Vitra Museum’, I wanted to in vision it on a lot smaller scale, being somewhat of a residence. I also wanted the design to be more contemporary in the size, shape and materials used. With a love and passion for tropical islands, I thought it a great idea for the location of the new Vitra to be held in the Maldives, with the structure being a modernistic, contemporary island hut.


I learnt of Lebbeus Woods, an architect who does intricate deconstruction drawings, out of all the small detailed pieces, I found shapes and forms with in. So using Woods method of deconstruction, I wish to explode Gehry’s Vitra, shift and rotate the individual elements to create a new structure with the same essence of the original.

I was inspired by another newer installment to the Vitra Campus. Designed by Herzog & de Meuron, the house is located opposite the Vitra Museum and has many of the same features. This idea of deconstruction and placement is the type of look I'm after.




I also want to incorporate Gehry’s original design brief of interpreting the forms of expressive and unique spaces into my structure by using the vast and open landscape to complement and become one with the expressive, contemporary home while still maintaining Gehry’s sense of spatial dimension.

No comments:

Post a Comment